Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I am dogsitting my dad's 3 month old Shiba Inu first time.

Customer Question

I am dogsitting my dad's 3 month old Shiba Inu for the first time. This morning I noticed she keeps swaying, and shaking very slighty, while sitting.
I am very worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long have you had Bella?

Has she had any new foods/treats?

Could she have gotten into anything unusual?

Has she stayed with you before?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

That last question should have included....'even for just a visit"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got Bella from my dad's place last night do I have only had her since around 8pm last night. This is her very first time ever being in my home. I should mention I have a 7 year old beagle mix and a small cat as well. I wondered if maybe that had something to do with it.
She had 2 little treats this morning, but since the swaying thing started, she refuses to eat any of her dry or wet food.
I caught her eating her own feces from one of her puppy pads this morning before taking her for a walk and giving her those 2 little treats.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Has she been playing hard with your beagle or cat?

Does she perk up if you suggest something she likes such as going outside or having a treat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried perking her up, but she wasn't interested.
My boyfriend has been holding her because that seemed to help stop the excessive swaying.
She has not been playing very hard, if at all, with my beagle and cat. She seems extremely docile for a puppy. This is the first time I have spent a large amount of time with her so I assumed the docile behavior was just part of her personalty.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Did she eat the treats willingly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wondered if the swaying and slight shaking was a type of anxiety or something similar from being in a new place with new animals.
My dad lives in the nest building so I was contemplating taking her over there to see if she would eat in a more comfortable setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she ate the treats willingly, but that was before the swaying started.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So here's what I'd do if this were me....

I'd take her over to your dad's and see how she does there. If it stops, then it's clearly an anxiety thing that will likely resolve on its own when she's at your house, unless you want to watch her in your dad's place.

If that doesn't help, then I'd try rubbing a little honey or maple syrup on her gums, just in case it's a low blood sugar thing...I don't think it is since she did eat the treats, but it's worth trying, just to be safe.

If none of that works, then it might not be a bad idea to have her seen by a vet, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.