Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Catahoula Leopard pup has bumps that is raising s fur.

Customer Question

My Catahoula Leopard pup has bumps that is raising his fur. Kinda of look like pimples and not sure what to do. I bought medicated wheat shampoo but I am thinking that he might be allergic to that.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My puppy is 3 months old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Do the bumps have white tops like pimples? Or are they red?

Where on his body are you seeing these?

Any changes to his diet in the past 4-6 weeks since this started?

When did you last treat for fleas? What did you use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had them about 1.5 weeks
I had the puppy for 3 weeks and did give him new food
No treatment for fleas, when I picked him up from breeder I took him to Oetco and they washed him and cleaned his ears and said he did not need treatment for fleas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pumps are red
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad that they are not actually pimples, since we can see bacterial pyoderma cause similar signs in dogs. And when that is present, antibiotics are often indicated. That aside, red bumps as you have reported are highly suggestive of an allergic skin reaction. This could be to the protein source in his diet, pollens, flea saliva, or anything he is in contact with at your house (ie laundry soap, carpet powders, air fresheners, etc).

With all this in mind, there is some supportive care you can consider here. First, if the diet is new to him, perhaps consider ringing the breeder to see what he was fed or at least the protein base so you can adjust his diet if need be. Otherwise, I would advise treating for fleas here. All it takes is one bite in a sensitive dog and we will see these reactions. Therefore, treating is a cheap way to rule out flea allergy dermatitis. As well, you could even consider using a product like Advantage Multi, Revolution, or Stronghold. The advantage of these is that they also cover against mites and would rule those out just in case.

Otherwise, since this sounds allergic in nature, you can try to reduce this with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, his signs are suggestive of an allergic reaction. It is possible he could be sensitive to wheat (though this is uncommon) but we do have some other possible causes as well. In any case, it'd be ideal to consider his original diet if he hadn't any issues with that, make sure he is treated for fleas, and consider an antihistamine trial to see if we can settle his skin.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet