Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had a litter of six pups...two days ago they stopped

Customer Question

my dog had a litter of six pups...two days ago they stopped eating and drinking and i woke this morning to a dead puppy, i was devasted, the other pups have diareohh now and are being sick but i cant get into a vets they are fully booked...two of the five left also have bloodshot eyes
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if your vet is fully booked, then I would suggest either ringing again to speak to the vet or nurse directly (since reception often have no concept of urgent issues) and letting them know that this is an urgent situation or seeking an alternative vet in this case. The reason is because you will be terribly limited with what you can do for these delicate wee ones until the vomiting is treated (which would need to be done via injection if they are doing so). And if they have not eaten or drunk for 2 days, then they are in danger of dehydration and declining blood sugars. So, they are all at risk as the last one was.

Otherwise, if they are not vomiting profusely, the one option you could consider here is treating with over the counter Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Most pharmacies carry this or your vet may be happy to just dispense it until they are seen. It will at least coat the stomach to soothe nausea and slow diarrhea. And if they settle on this, then you can work to get them back to eating and taking in fluids. And just to note, for any that are very dull just now, you can rub a glucose containing syrup (ie karo syrup, honey, pancake syrup, etc) on their gums to give them a boost.

Overall, where diarrhea/vomiting/appetite loss isn't an emergency for most adult dogs, it is one for pups. They have too little body reserve for this to continue. And while the bloodshot eyes are just likely a side effect of the force of vomiting, we'd need to get those stomachs settled (ideally with injectable anti-nausea treatment) as quickly as possible. Furthermore, it would be best to have them seen urgently (even if you have to sit and wait for the vet to have a moment), so that they can pinpoint the cause for this tand start treatment to get them back to track and avoid any more losses.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )