Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our dog is a 22 lb beagle mix that was attacked on July 30

Customer Question

our dog is a 22 lb beagle mix that was attacked on July 30 by a coyote. He had multiple bites on his neck and head. He was treated, recovered except for having a hoarse bark and some trouble swallowing hard foods. He is also a diabetic. After work today I noticed he was acting "off" breathing ok and ate supper, but noticed old blood on his leg and neck.Blood oozing out of area of bite mark and bruising under a hematoma the size of half a tennis ball. No temp. Allowed me to clean it and clip hair around site. but guarded if approach him from behind. He has blindness from diabetes and is 11 years old. Thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this guy's issues. I'm going to be honest here and say that the previous attack site shouldn't have this current issue now from that incident. It is just too far out for it to have a complication associated from it. Especially if the area has not had any persistent swelling or discomfort in the last weeks or so. My suspicion here would have to be that there was another round of trauma that caused this current hematoma and bleeding. If there wasn't specific trauma that caused this, then could there be a bleeding issue / coagulopathy? If there is a chance of rat / mouse poison in the environment, then this would definitely increase those suspicions. The best thing I can recommend is to get him to your vet or an ER clinic for them to evaluate him and to see what further treatments are needed.