Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has vomited 2 maybe 3 piles of grass and water and a

Customer Question

My dog has vomited 2 maybe 3 piles of grass and water and a bit of his food, now he just seems normal but every now and then coughs.. Or regurgitates, he doesn't seem out of character, still gets excited if I go near him and wags his tail when I talk I'm not sure if I should be alarmed or not
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he keeping food and water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He drank a bit of water since I locked him inside away from the grass and previous vomit piles and he hasn't vomited since. His gums seem normal and I can't really managed to press down and get much of a reaction
He has definitely eaten a lot of grass and he could have swallowed some of his toy I caught him ripping up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no to the diarrhoea, at least that I've noticed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

What was the toy made of?

When did that happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a stuffed toy, and this evening, pretty soon after I noticed he had been gone for ages and disappeared outside
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If he potentially ingested some of that toy so recently, it could be playing a role in what we are seeing at the moment. Fluff and bits of soft toy often will pass through the GI but can cause nausea and vomiting while in the stomach. Of course, we always have to keep in mind that the toy could be a red herring, as GI infections, pancreatitis, and dietary indiscretions can also cause these signs.

With this all in mind, since he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid.There are a number that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has any health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Furthermore, whichever you choose, you can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to this to help push any toy fluff through his GI and out the other end.

Finally, I do want to note some signs to watch for further to those I had you check. If you see any blood or brown material in his vomit, black stools, or he is straining to pass stool and cannot; those would also be signs of a blockage from this item. If we saw those other the signs I had you check, we'd want him seen urgently for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Still, if he ate bits of toy, that is a concern here. So, we'd want to use the above just now and monitor him closely. If he settles, we are happy. But if he is not, then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )