Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has red spots on s skin and s skin is flaky. I've

Customer Question

My dog has red spots on his skin and his skin is flaky. I've given him baths with over the counter dog shampoo which seems to work for about a day, taken him to the vet and they gave him cephalexin, tried giving him salmon oil, and he is healthy and acting normally otherwise. He has a good diet and is on "taste of the wild" dog food and has normal bowel movements. What can I do to make his skin better and not flaky or red without having to go to the animal hospital again?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do the spots look like pimples or pustules?

How long has he had signs? How long has he been on treatment?

Is he itchy with this?

Did his vet give him anything to counter the irritation/inflammation of his skin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spots resemble hot spots and his vet just gave him cephalexin which really didn't seem to do much. He's no longer on cephalexin but we have been using "natures variety skin shampoo" on him. The spots aren't itchy and i first noticed his skin condition about a month ago when i took him to the vet originally and they gave him cephalexin.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

How long has he been on the salmon oil? Is he still on it?

The photo is a bit unfocused, I can see the dander but cannot see the detail in the center (it looks like 2 unfocused yellow tinted spots). Can you describe what you were seeing there?

Are you seeing patches of hair loss with crusting in the center?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's been on the salmon oil for about 2 weeks now. He is still on it and doesn't have any hair loss, just a lot of yellowish/brown spots on his skin and is flaky.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that the salmon oil treatment is early days, since it can take 4-6 weeks to see those penetrate the skin, improve skin cell health, and reduce dander. So, we want to keep up on that for managing the flakiness. Otherwise, in the meantime, you can consider using a shampoo that is a sebolytic like Sebolux (example) to help reduce the dander. The nice thing about Sebolux is that it will do that but also helps with any bacterial or fungal infections lurking on the skin and triggering this dander situation.

Now if we have brown/yellow raised spots (such a shame I cannot quite see them in the photo), this does suggest that we do still have a bacterial infection here. Now the above shampoo can help with that if it is mild. Otherwise, since it didn't respond to the Cephalexin, we may need to think about having the discharge inside the bumps cultured to see what is present and what drugs it is vulnerable to. So, that would be a possible if we didn't see this settle with topical care.

Overall, it sounds like you are on the right track, but we'd want to make a few changes to your approach while we are giving the EFAs in the salmon oil time to get into his skin cells. So, do consider a sebolytic shampoo specifically at this stage. And if you don't find this improving over the next few weeks or there are lots of spots, then we'd need to consider culture and an alternative antibiotic to clear that for him and give his skin a chance to recover.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )