Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My full blood Black and Tan Doberman has / pach of fur on s

Customer Question

My full blood Black and Tan Doberman has gray/white pach of fur on his left flank about the size of quarter an sensitive to touch
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you now how long it's been there?

How old is your dog?

Does he have any underlying health issues that you're aware of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm actually unable to make a phone call at this point....would you like to continue in this Q&A fashion, or would you like me to opt out and see if someone else can pick it up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe if someone else can call
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I - and most vets - aren't allowed to communicate by phone with customers. Can you upload a photo of this patch to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

The color change indicates abnormal skin under the fur in most cases. Occasionally a genetic coloration abnormality exists but that shouldn't be sensitive to the touch. Will he allow your parting the gray/white hairs and looking closely at the skin? If not, his vet will need to shave away the hair and take a good look at the skin. Inflammation is likely because it's sensitive to the touch. I might find a cyst or other neoplasm, ingrown hairs and secondary infection, or anatomical anomaly.