Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My rottweiler is 61 days pregnant today and she has been

Customer Question

Hello
My rottweiler is 61 days pregnant today and she has been leaking a brownish watery liquid since her morning pee. Shes licking her vagina alot and sleeping more then normal. Does this mean labour has started?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Are you positive it's 61 days?

How old is she?

Is this her first litter?

Is she nesting or trying to hide somewhere dark/secluded?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she bred on july 21st. She is 2 years old in January. This is her first and only litter. She is refusing to leave my side so she is laying in her bed with me beside her
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At this point it's possible that she's in the early stages of labor...but of course, it's impossible to know for sure.

Once thing you could do would be to take her temperature. A dog who is about to go into labor or is in the early stages will have a lower than normal temp. Once a dog's temp is around 100 degrees (normal is 101-102.5) she'll likely deliver the pups within 24 hours.

There's a great site that discuses whelping (having puppies) in depth here: http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

It will discuss all the stages and what you can expect to see.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

If you're not positive, then you can have her seen by an emergency vet today and they'll be able to examine her and see if she's in labor or if there's something more going on here.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

If she's in labor and you don't see puppies by tomorrow morning, then you absolutely need to have her seen by a vet.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa