Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I was just wondering about my pit. She is almost one and I

Customer Question

I was just wondering about my pit bull. She is almost one and I noticed her genital area a little enlarged so I took a close look to make sure she was clean and noticed she is starting to bleed. I wanna be sure this is all part and parcel of her mental cycle and not an infection. She doesn't behave any different or seem sore or out of sorts
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

It is normal for a female in heat to have bleeding in the first stage of the heat cycle and swelling of the vulva. The heat cycle runs normally about 3 weeks or so, though it can be shorter or longer. The first part of heat lasts about a week and you notice bleeding and the start of swelling. Male dogs will start hanging around, but usually she won't be receptive to breeding. During the second week, bleeding will slow or stop and she will start putting her tail to the side called flagging to indicate she is receptive to breeding. She will allow breeding during this time. Then the last week she may still allow breeding but won't be as fertile. Each of these stages can be shorter or longer and even last for weeks but most dogs are average and it is done in just a few weeks. You can just rinse the area. Bathing too frequently can lead to dry skin and coat issues.

Most dogs do not experience much discomfort though they will sometimes have vomiting or a little decrease in appetite as the hormones shift.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?