Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Im trying to figure out whats wrong with my yorkie. She is

Customer Question

Im trying to figure out whats wrong with my yorkie. She is hypoglycemic, almost 9 yrs old. All the sudden today, she is lethargic, not eating, drinking, seems extremely weak, and seems like she cant see. When she has low sugar attacks, i give her a bit of honey, but it didnt seem to work this time. My husband mixed some up with peanut butter, and she seemed to perk up, but just for a second. She is just laying in her bed, and i think she is peeing in it, but like she cant get up and still needs to go. Please help. Whats wrong with her? Is it getting close to time for her cause shes so old?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If your Yorkie has been confirmed to be hypoglycemic by her vet, an insulinoma - an insulin-producing tumor of the pancreas should be suspected in a dog of her age. A conservative manner in which to identify such a tumor is to simultaneously measure serum glucose and insulin concentrations when the blood glucose concentration is less than 60 mg/dL. At this blood concentration, insulin secretion is normally suppressed which wouldn't be the case if an insulinoma were present. Please have her attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.