Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog was given to doses of hydroxyzine will he be ok? I

Customer Question

My dog was given to doses of hydroxyzine will he be ok? I can't afford another vet visit.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chico. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Hydroxyzine is pretty safe. How much does he weigh, and how many milligrams of hydroxyzine did he get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's 12 lbs and he was given 30 mg.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

thanks for that information. That means he got about 5 mg per kilogram of body weight (we calculate doses in mg per kg). He may seem drowsy for a few hours, but that should be the worst you see.

Give me a moment to do a little research, to be sure there is nothing else to be concerned about.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Occasionally, hyperactivity and fine muscle tremors have been reported. There is no antidote, you have to wait for it to wear off. How long ago did he get it? If you are worried and he got it in the last half hour, you could try inducing vomiting with some hydrogen peroxide ( 1 teaspoon in some milk or water). If he got it more than an hour ago, it is too late to try that.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Chico doing? Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chico. How is everything going?