Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a bichon who is 13. He just started lying down on s

Customer Question

I have a bichon who is 13. He just started lying down on his stomach to eat and drink. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Tibi. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

Laying down to eat and drink is often a sign of pain in the cervical spine ( neck) . Laying down to eat and drink prevents them from having to lower the head reducing pressure on the disc in the neck.

This can also be due to pain in the spine or even arthritis. Disc disease is a common problem in senior small breed dogs. This can effect both the neck and back.

I would try to slowly move his neck from side to side and up and down and see if he seem stiff or painful at all. I would also watch for things like trouble going up steps, jumping, running etc anything that could indicate spinal pain.

Now it is also possible that this is just the new normal for him and he has decided that this is just a more comfortable position to be in when eating. It is not uncommon to see senior dogs do this. While it may be nothing it would be best to have a good hands on exam done by your vet at your earliest convenience.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue to chat with you.

Candy