Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7yr old Yorkie was just diagnosed with gh liver and

Customer Question

My 7yr old Yorkie was just diagnosed with high liver and gallbladder enzymes and an enlarged liver. This am her poop was very orange and full of a lot of mucus. We were getting ready to leave for 4 days and board her but not at a vets office. Can this be an emergency situation and what is the possible cause?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

As stool passes through the GI tract the bilirubin that was excreted by the gall bladder that the stool contains is metabolized into different chemicals with different properties. The bilirubin may start out green, change to orange, yellow, brown, and even black depending upon the amount of bilirubin originally present and the motility of the GI tract. The faster the stool moves through the GI tract, the less time for the bilirubin to be metabolized. Because you're seeing very orange poop, quite a bit of bile was released by the gall bladder and/or the motility of Molly's GI tract was increased which is also suggested by the excess mucus which indicates irritation in the large bowel (colitis) where mucus glands are abundant. In summary, these findings aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) for any one particular disorder and Molly's overall behavior and condition are more important when determining if hospital boarding would be more appropriate than a conventional kennel. If you choose a conventional kennel, please make sure that you've approved Molly's being taken to her vet should she appear to require her vet's attention. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the quick and informative response.

You're quite welcome. Bon voyage! I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.