Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7 yr old shih tzu has been getting more and more mucous

Customer Question

My 7 yr old shih tzu has been getting more and more mucous in her right eye. I clean it daily and use drops, but I think it has turned into an infection. To give her relief until Monday when I can get her to the vet, I was thinking of giving her some leftover Vigamox of mine. Is that safe?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Vigamox (moxifloxacin) is safe at a drop every 12 hours but I'd like you to also continue the Systane Ultra every 3-4 hours in case Bridie's eye indicates keratoconjunctivitis sicca ("dry eye") which is a relatively common problem manifesting as you've described in the Shih Tzu. Avoid any steroid-containing ophthlamics which would exacerbate any trauma present in Bridie's cornea - the clear window of her eye.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.