Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5year old Maltese ate rotten moldy food about 5 hours ago

Customer Question

My 5year old Maltese ate rotten moldy food about 5 hours ago and just vomited. We knew she was not feeling well because she hasn't moved, ate or drank anything. Can you please recommend treatment for her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you get her to drink at all? Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Stella hasn't thrown up anymore and she ate some a small bite of chicken about 1 hour ago. She hasn't drink any water and won't, her gums aren't white, but they are pink and black. They don't looked too bad and when I push on her tummy she just looks at me. She hasn't move off the couch.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad that you are not seeing those more worrisome signs that I asked about and that her vomiting has settled. From here, we'd want to start some supportive care to counter the GI upset that is likely causing the signs we are seeing.

To do so, we can start by treating Stella with an antacid. There are a number on the market but the ones we tend to use in dogs are Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). After you have given this (and allowed 20-30 minutes for this to take effect) and then consider offering small, frequent meals of light diet (ie boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food -- as long as its free from garlic or onion powder -- mixed with white rice) to keep her stomach settled while she gets over the GI effects of this.

Now once we settle her stomach, we would expect her to start drinking for us again. Still, if we need to tempt her, you can try offering fresh water, lactose free milk, or low salt chicken broth. Otherwise, if she remains stubborn on this but we can get her eating, then you can offer wet food (which is 35% water) or add water or broth to her food.

Overall, it sounds like she is starting to settle after eating this moldy food. From here we would want to try to soothe that GI upset and get her back to eating using a light diet. Of course, if she doesnt't settle over the weekend, then we'd want to consider having her vet treat with injectable anti-nausea and appetite stimulants if needed.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you thank you! I will do those thing right away! If I have anymore questions I will contact you:)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. :)

Best wishes to you both,

Dr B