Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a tumor on s jaw on one side. We gave m several

Customer Question

hello my dog has a tumor on his jaw on one side. We gave him several rounds of baytril and it didn't go down. He tends to eat dirt which makes me think its a blobked up salivary gland...any thoughts. I'm also thinking of giving him dinovite?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping there is a home remedy to make the swelling go down instead of surgery. I feel there might be and that since he eats dirt he is in need of minerals. Dinovite is advertised on CoasttoCoast AM and thought it might be a good supplement but still, if there is a block like a small pepple to the opening of his salivary gland or something worse Id like to know what can be don't naturally if possible before surgery thank you, Sally
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Sally, the first order of business is to determine if that tumor represents a salivary gland, lymph node, or neither. This is done by needle aspirating it and examining the aspirate microscopically. If the aspirate is equivocal, a punch biopsy can be taken instead. Once the type of tumor is determined, you'll know how best to address it. In general, tumors aren't going to respond to conservative therapy such as supplementation with Dinovite which won't be harmful but is unlikely to be of value for your mixed Lab. Please note that eating dirt - a type of pica - has many etiologies. Gastrointestinal disorders, dental and oral disease (for which he has a history), central nervous system disturbances such as brain tumors or hydrocephalus, electrolyte imbalances, metabolic diseases, and toxins such as lead can induce licking, sucking, chewing, and picas (ingestion of inanimate objects), licking of owners, and air licking. Picas may also be caused by excessive restriction of calories (i.e. weight loss diets) and any medical condition that could cause polyphagia (increased hunger). Licking, chewing, polyphagia, polydipsia (increased thirst), and picas can also be a side effect of drug therapy. In geriatric pets, repetitive behaviors including licking, chewing, and picas might be associated with brain aging and cognitive dysfunction.

Salivary glands can become obstructed but this usually occurs when a salivary stone forms rather than an external "stone" finding its way into the very small opening of a salivary duct. We don't know if that tumor represents a salivary gland in any event. I understand you'd like to take a conservative and "natural" approach but such an approach is very unlikely to exist. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.