Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is a maltese 7 years old was a gift and I notice she

Customer Question

My dog is a maltese 7 years old was a gift and I notice she have her period planning to have spayed is that the right term, I just want to know how long she will have her period
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs have what is called a heat cycle. The actual heat cycle is different than a human's period. Dogs are able to get pregnant only during their heat cycle. So let me go over the heat cycle. During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period

The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days. Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog. Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

So you are going to want to keep her away from male dogs until the vulva has shrunk back to normal size. This will likely be in 2-3 weeks. As long as you spay her in the next few months after she goes out of heat, you should prevent her from having any other heat cycles.

Now if she is vomiting, not eating or having diarrhea along with the bleeding from the vulva that might indicate a different condition called pyometra, so let me know immediately if that is the case.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.