Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I brought my dog to the vet because he seemed to have an

Customer Question

Hi I brought my dog to the vet because he seemed to have an excess of wax and when I went to touch an ear he yelped. Ear infection oh yes and Klebsiella Pneumoniae, as well as Meth-Resist Staph Pseudintermedius (both moderate growth) and Diptheriods(non-pathogenic). I am freaked out! He gave me Enrofloxacin for 14days 2x a day!
What causes that? Something I should avoid? Should i not take him to the dog park(until at least the meds are done) should I be concerned about my family's health? How can I prevent this?
What should I be doing?
First dog I have ever had! ūüėē. Help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

You are absolutely safe and have no need to be worried.

Just like humans, dog ear infections aren't contagious. They tend to happen more often in dogs who have floppy ears (like shih tzus) because the ears don't ever get completely dry...the flap makes it impossible for air to circulate, so getting ear infections happen often.

You don't really need to do anything other than to make sure you check his ears a couple times a week. When you notice that they're red or starting to smell, then you should use a prescription cleaner and possibly a drying agent.

You also don't need to limit his time at the dog park. There's nothing to worry about here. Ear infections are very, very common and not a big deal.

I hope this ehlps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO advice here! I know that my dog is more prone to ear issues but.....What my dog has is resistant to common antibiotics and can (according to this site) have an impact on their lungs ( BIG DEAL) So AGAIN, I still do not know what might be the cause (again since it is not common...) so do not know what to do or avoid doing.... which is now going on a three (expensive) vet visits with medications. The reason I turned here is for advise was how can I make sure he is not this sick with this bacteria again? And how do I make sure it is NOT effecting his lungs, kidneys, etc.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

There's no way to limit what kind of bacteria your dog is exposed to...and it might be rare in humans, but it is not quite so rare in dog ears. And as long as he's being treated for the infection, it's unlikely to effect his lungs/kidneys. When we see problems it's becuase the ears have been left untreated which can cause the infection to spread into the body...but if the dog is being treated, then the risk is very, very, very minimal.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fintan. How is everything going?
Lisa