Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog had surgery 8 days ago to remove a fatty tumor on her

Customer Question

My dog had surgery 8 days ago to remove a fatty tumor on her leg. 2 days later the entire back leg swelled to about 4x it's normal size and looked like it would burst through the stitches. Vet did an aspiration that did not result in much fluid. The aspiration site would not stop bleeding and after about 3 hours they decided to place a drain. This drain area has been dripping blood non stop for 3 days with no sign of improvement. I had it rechecked 2 days ago by a different vet in the same office as I was nervous about the amount of bright red blood dripping from the drain sites and was told it was a "normal" course for a hematoma but as the original aspiration did not result in fluid removal originally that confuses me. Can I apply a compression bandage? Will it still allow it to "drain" ? Poor dog has been locked up for the whole time and is very depressed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Needless to say, this isn't the behavior expected following the removal of a lipoma. Was the tumor biopsied? Such swelling and bleeding isn't uncommon when a mast cell tumor is removed due to histamine release. Please speak to Jack's vet about this possibility and presumptive therapy with antihistamines and/or corticosteroids.

A compression bandage should be avoided if drains have been placed. As you're concerned, it's likely to not allow drainage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.