Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dr. my dog has a loose tooth and i can tell he is in pain

Customer Question

Hi, Dr. Scott my dog has a loose tooth and i can tell he is in pain but also i had notice that he has an infection
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Max has a problem, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. I know this is uncomfortable for your dog but hopefully this is not such a serious situation. The best thing to do is to have your vet check Max over as if the tooth is very loose it may be possible to quickly extract it in the consulting room. Also if an infection is present then a course of prescription drugs such as antibiotics will be needed.

2. There is probably no need to see an ER vet, a regular hours consult over the next two days should be fine. In the meantime if he is in pain you can consider giving him aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog.

A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of antibiotic can i use for Max
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i give him kids ibuprofen?

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further.

1. Well there are quite a choice of suitable antibiotics for dogs in this sort of situation but something like Amoxycillin { LINK } or Augmentin { LINK } may be suitable.

{ Follow the links for more info including dose rates and contraindications. }

2. Aspirin is your only real safe choice for over the counter pain relief meds in dogs I am afraid, the others are best avoided because of known side effect issues and known toxic effects.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is late but i will go to wal-mart to see what i can find i know the aspirin will be there but i don't think the antibiotics would be is there anything over the counter that you may recommend for the infection for now till i set up a vet appointment?

Hello again,

Aspirin should be fine of course but I am afraid that antibiotics will be prescription only, ... sorry.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you so much for your help.

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will thanks again have a good night.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Max is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his tooth problem.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.