Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Goldie is 12 in January, he recently had an episode of

Customer Question

Hi my Goldie is 12 in January, he recently had an episode of diarrhoea which was black and unpleasant for him as he was distressed with it, he was given about 4 different medicines to combat it and it soon resolved, however since I have noticed that he is now making a snoring sound all the time when lay down awake, he also is panting a lot more and is out of breath easily especially after a 200 yd walk. Today his legs have given way and he had to sit for a small while to compose himself, upon doing so you could see his rear legs were wanting to drop. Now on the face of it he seems fine in himself and is eating and drinking fine. His stools are slightly loose and he is going regularly. I am really worried about the breathing and the shortage of breath he is really struggling. I have been the vets but would like a second opinion. Please help me help him..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long ago was this diarrhea/anemia situation?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Did his vets xray, scope, or ultrasound his stomach and intestines?

Had his blood electrolytes been off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.Initially his gums were white but they are pink now. The diarrhoea was about 4 weeks ago now. Electrolytes was the other anomalie yes and there has been no scans at all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear they are pink, as that suggests that he is replenishing red blood cells after that gut bleed (as the black stool was digested blood). Now in regards ***** ***** history, I have to say that the weakness and panting does fit as side effects of anemia (since he likely has less red blood cells then normal and therefore reduced oxygen supplementation to his organs/cells). So, that isn't uncharacteristic with his situation and should resolve with time as that blood level normalizes completely.

Otherwise, we have to think about those other signs and findings. Now without seeing his bloods, I can only speculate what was seen. Still, if we have electrolyte imbalances, then Addisons is a suspect here. That said, that snoring doesn't quite fit with everything else. So, we cannot know for sure how that fits in (whether it is non-significant or if there is a mass in the throat -- perhaps even the recent bleed source). As well, if there were no diagnostic imaging tests done then we cannot rule out other reasons for a GI bleed (ie ulcers, bleeding tumors, etc). Therefore, we do have some other considerations here.

With this all in mind, I do think testing for Addisons is a good step here. Otherwise, if that is clear, then we'd want to think about one of those diagnostic imaging options so we can see what is in the throat/stomach/intestines. That way we can make sure we are not missing anything with Cooper and are able to address what is present.

Overall, his weakness/panting are side effects of the recent anemia and should settle as he continues to improve. But the snoring and electrolytes do raise other concerns. Therefore, I do think your vet is on the right track here but we'd need to consider a closer look at his GI/throat to determine the source of his snoring and make sure we are covering all bases.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya.The results have shown that Addison is not present and have since discovered that he has leukaemia. We're now looking at what options we have following a sample from the lymph glands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your update,

I am very sorry to hear that our concerns of other issues has been confirmed. Hopefully, the gland tissue analysis will come back low grade and likely chemo responsive for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.