Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We have a 4y.o. maltese. We just moved to a new home in a

Customer Question

We have a 4y.o. maltese. We just moved to a new home in a new state. Our dog trainer says she has signs of abandonment. She is eating and drinking but does not want to play. It has been 3 weeks. She just wants to lie down. When we take her out to visit my mother-in-law at the nursing home she is a different dog. Full of energy and life. Bring her back to house and she just wants to lie on floor and not move. What can we do to bring her back to life in the new house?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I believe that poor little Sasha is experiencing anxiety due to the move and this can take time for her to adjust. The first thing that will help is to purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This will act as a calming agent to decrease her anxiety and cause her to be less frightened. It would be good to have your vet examine to be sure there is not a medical issue such as Diabetes causing this sad behavior. If these are ruled out, your vet can prescribe an antianxiety medication to help Sasha past this. It will take time and patience but praise her and give her treats when she does something positive and give her time to adjust.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. How long do you wait till you need to prescribe medicine? She was examined last week and everything was normal.

If Sasha was examined last week, give the DAP Collar and TLC a week or so to see if you can get Sasha out of this depression. If there is no progress, call your vet about medication. Good luck...poor little Sasha! I feel so bad for her....

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta