Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I just adopted a brussel griffon and she is dragging her

Customer Question

hi
I just adopted a brussel griffon and she is dragging her stomach and acting like she is humping something what is that?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Can you describe the dragging behavior?

Is her front up and he rear legs being dragged?

Or is her front down and rear up?

How long has she been hunching her back?

Is she jumping? Does she climb stairs fine?

How long have you had Mindee?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just adopted her over the weekend, we don't have stairs. She is very frightful of people and things around her, she is 9 lbs and very sweet dog. I do not know if she is fixed, looks like the breeder gave her up and she had her last litter. She was owner surrender. I had her check by my vet, she does not look to be fixed. When she is on the floor she is stretched out laying flat on her belly and pushing her body forward like she is humping or scratching her belly. I have noticed her scratching a lot we had her given flee and tick meds the other day and my vet found two ticks on her. I am going to give her a bath soon.linda

Linda,

There are a few possibilities. One would be fleas and ticks which would take a little time for the medication to resolve the problem. The fleas tend to bite when dying and make her itchy. However, an allergy condition might also be to blame. Allergies can be to any number of things and on the belly with no other itchy areas might be a contact allergy to a cleaning product or grass. Read more on allergies here:

http://www.nhahonline.vetsuite.com/Templates/ContentPages/Articles/ViewArticleContent.aspx?Id=864

http://www.lbah.com/allergy.htm

Then there might be a skin condition such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.