Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a 10 week old pitbull puppy with a red rash covering

Customer Question

Hi I have a 10 week old pitbull puppy with a red rash covering her stomach and groin area. She just recently had her 2nd set of shots and also switched to blue wilderness chicken puppy food (was on science diet buy heard that blue was better for puppies) the rash started off very small and at first we just thought it was scratches from our other pit pup. Just wanted some thoughts and what it could be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Can you attach a photo of the rash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure here you go
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

This could be skin mites called demodex, but could also be an allergic reaction with secondary bacterial infection. I recommend giving 1mg/lb of Benadryl every 8 hours for the next week, and rub a thin smear of Neosporin on the rash twice daily. If there is no improvement in a week, see your vet for a skin scraping to determine if mites is a possibility.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bristol. How is everything going?
Ann M.