Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog has a tummy full of blood which the vet thinks he

Customer Question

My dog has a tummy full of blood which the vet thinks he will reabsorb he is not eating or drinking getting weaker he has cancer and it's only 4 weeks since he had a ruptured spleen and a tumour removed didn't think he would go this quickly my husband can't face the thought of putting him down what do you think we should do
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday he was walking and standing today not really doing either he wags his tail and lifts his head when you talk to him
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Harvey. I'm going to be honest here and say that this doesn't sound good. Based on that previous surgery that discovered the cancer on his spleen, it is a situation where the aggressive hemangiosarcoma tumors will have already spread and they will cause issues at some point. I tell my clients that when a hemangiosarcoma is found in a similar situation, the prognosis for a period of good quality of life can be from weeks to 6 months. I have personally seen a few cases where it was just a month after the surgery where the cancer started to bleed again internally and the quality of life of that pet was deteriorating. I know you don't want to let Harvey go, but if his quality of life is deteriorating, then letting him go can be that last gift to let him go peacefully. A dog's quality of life is what I'd consider to be good when they are eating, drinking comfortable, breathing easily and being social. If he's not eating and drinking and currently has more blood in his abdomen, this isn't good. At home all you can really do there is to continue to let him rest and to try and tempt him with anything to eat and drink.