petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My vet says my dog has a herniated disc that could rupture.

Customer Question

My vet says my dog has a herniated disc that could rupture. She is a beagle mix, and has been given anti-inflamatories and put on strict rest in a crate. Should we go ahead and get a CT and consider surgery to avoid rupture?
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Ella today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

What symptoms are Ella showing that lead to the diagnosis of a herniated disc? Pain? Any loss of function?

How long has she been showing these symptoms? Are they getting worse?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ella began showing a weakness in her rear left leg over this past weekend. Then, three nights ago, I noticed that she could not jump up on the sofa or the bed. She tried, but could not do it, so I lifted her. The next morning when it was time to walk, I noticed she seemed to find it too painful to take her morning stretch. She has no loss of function that I can tell, but when I took her to get x-rays yesterday, a disc near the rear of her spine looks like there is inflamation. She is 5 years old, and I have been told to keep her in her crate with strict rest for 30 days to try to help her heal. I don't want the disc to rupture and risk paralysis, but keeping her inactive in the crate for 30 days is going to be a challenge. I am just trying to make sure I do all that I can for her.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Theoretically, a disc can rupture at any time and with any normal movement. Her being confined to cage rest now is more so the inflammation in the spine can resolve and not so much to prevent further compression by rupture. Obviously, whatever is causing her back pain currently is due to some degree of compression and inflammation and these don't usually go on to compress the spine further during the recovery period. When a dog has a disc that is causing paralysis, it usually occurs acutely or within the first 24 hours of the appearance of symptoms. If her only symptom is pain, unless it is not responding to treatment, she is not likely a surgical candidate and with proper care and activity restriction, she should improve. If she is not being considered for surgery, there is no reason to have a CT performed. She is actually more at risk of a different vertebral disk rupturing at some time in the future than she is this one going on to rupture or compress the spinal cord further. I hppe that makes sense.

Here is a link with information about disk disease in dogs. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z