Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Gave .04soloxine and benedrill pills to 5lb dog by mistaske.

Customer Question

gave .04soloxine and benedrill pills to 5lb dog by mistaske. What shoule we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How many mg of Benadryl did you give?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it;s 25 mg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a Kirkland brand, we normallg give it to our older dog for his allegies but little swiped treat it was in

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I am not to worried about the Soloxine but the 25 mg of Benadryl is a bit of an overdose for a 5 pound dog, her top dose should have been 10 mg.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drugs that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. If you fail to induce vomiting and any symptoms do set in such as extreme lethargy or you become further concerned in any way then you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what side affects should we be looking as far as the benedrill goes?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

At this sort of dose level I would expect to see some degree of sedation and lethargy over the next five or six hours ...

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we gave her the hyrdoperxide and ice cream mix,20 minutes ago, so far no vomiting. she acts ok, no lethagy or aggression. it's been over an hour since eating pills.

Hello again ,

It would be worth trying to induce vomiting a second time. But in the meantime I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how chloe is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental drug overdose ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.