Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog Khaos - an American Bulldog has been vomiting small

Customer Question

Hi, my dog Khaos - an American Bulldog has been vomiting small amouts for about an hour off and on. what should I do? The bland diet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 4 year old boy Khaos. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. You will need to keep a close eye on your boy and you may potentially have to get him along to your local today depending on how things go. There are a number of potential causes for these symptoms in Khaos, ranging from an acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or even an internal organ problem. For these reasons, you really will need to keep a close eye on your boy for the next couple of hours if you can. If he seems really lethargic right now or in pain - then I really would encourage you to get him seen by your local Vet now if you can.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

I would also recommend you with hold his food until this evening. From then, yes - you can start him on a bland diet if his vomiting has settled. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice as you have been feeding, is ideal for his. Make sure his has plenty of fresh water in the meantime, and if he isn't drinking much, then you should try and coax him by making up a chicken broth. For this, just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed him the warm soup. If he is just continuously vomiting now, or continuing to pace and whine, then you need to get him seen straight away.

Best of luck with Khaos and hopefully this was just a one off vomit. As above - if any of the parameters change, you are best off getting him checked by your local vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.