Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog seems to be pacing a lot tonight, with panting, and

Customer Question

My dog seems to be pacing a lot tonight, with panting, and seems to be drinking a lot of water lately
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

When did the increased water intake start?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any discomfort anywhere else?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds,etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well everything started about 2 days ago. He is doing some lip licking, no we did give him some bones from pet store to help ease him into new home after long move. He does have a golf ball size lump in front leg that we feel is a lipoma, but had not been able to get officially looked at yet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

And is his belly tender?

Have his stools been normal? Any straining to go, blood or black feces?

How is his appetite?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stools have been soft, almost diarrhea like. But appetite he been good otherwise. The other thing I forgot to mention was we started giving both our dogs supplements because my other dog has been eating poop but you have to give supplement to both dogs, and another one to help keep their urine from yellowing the lawn. I'm guessing it ha something to do with these two supplements. So I will no longer being giving it to them.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If we have loose stools, then this could be what is triggering his increased thirst at this stage. And if this all started after the supplements were, then it is reasonable to stop them and see if these signs settle. Especially as his other signs do fit with a general GI discomfort and possible upset. So, stopping those supplements alongside some supportive care and monitoring would be indicated here.

In regards ***** ***** care, I would suggest offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and reduce the diarrhea load. As well, if his stools are very runny, you can also try him with Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) from your local pharmacy. Or you could use Propectalin, Protexin Prokolin, or Fast balance. Each of these are available OTC at vets, pet stores and even Amazon. And if this is just a bit of diarrhea from the supplements, these could help settle that faster.

Overall, his signs are supportive of GI upset here. Therefore, at this point, we'd want to stop the supplements and offer supportive care. Of course, if he develops any of those other signs I noted or isn't settling in the next 24-48 hours, then we'd want to plan to ahve a check with his vet to make sure there is nothing else causing him bother that we may need to address here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as thisis how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )