Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We adopted a 12 week old puppy yesterday. She was 3 days

Customer Question

We adopted a 12 week old puppy yesterday. She was 3 days post spay. She was playful. Today she won't eat, drink, and isn't urinating. Just very tired. Tried to give water via syringe. She vomits back up.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that your little one isn't feeling well. I know that you're probably nervous but I'm glad that you're looking for info to help her :)

It's not unusual for puppies to have some GI upset after a monumental life change like going to a new home, but I do get concerned when they are not eating or drinking on their own and they are vomiting. The biggest concern I have with little ones who have GI upset and are lethargic is for parvoviral infection. The canine parvovirus is a viral infection that is quite common and very contagious. It causes severe, often life threatening, vomiting and diarrhea. Parvo is the very first thing I check for when I have a young puppy who is having vomiting and/or diarrhea. There is a quick in-house test that your vet can run to check for parvo. If my parvo test is negative, I begin symptomatic treatment with anti-nausea medications and potentially anti-diarrhea medication and deworming as well. It's a good idea to get her seen by a vet as soon as possible if she's quite lethargic and hasn't eaten or drank (or kept anything down) all day. I worry that she's becoming dehydrated based on your observation that she hasn't urinated all day. It's going to be impossible to rehydrate her orally if she is vomiting the liquid back up.

For immediate nursing care, I would make sure that she is warm, and also I would place a little karo or corn syrup on her gums every couple of hours. This will combat hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) if it's present, and it won't be harmful if she doesn't need it.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you:)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to FYI. I gave her Gatorade via syringe every hour last night and was going to Vet today. However she finally urinated, moved bowels and ate this morning. She is also playful now. Will continue to watch but think we are over hump.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the update - I hope that she's feeling better soon!

Please let me know what questions I can help you with :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Not Named Yet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara