Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My papillon female's "pee-pee" is red and inflamed a bit.

Customer Question

my papillon female's "pee-pee" is red and inflamed a bit. She has been spayed but this is making her scoot and rub her butt. Just had her anal glands expresed as I thought that was the scooting problem. How can I help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Evie's vulva. I am happy to help you this evening. Usually when the vulva is red and inflamed this is due to her licking and rubbing it. She licks it usually because of an infection either on the skin or in the urinary tract so you will want to have her urine checked for an infection and her vulva checked for an infection. She may need oral antibiotics and a topical cream to settle down her vulva and get her some relief. So for right now you can clean the area with a baby wipe or a soft wash cloth and a mild soap and water. Then apply a thin coat of neosporin to the area to help calm it down until you can have her seen. To stop her from scooting place a small pair of shorts or underwear on her if possible to protect the area. But again most importantly have her seen to check the vulva for infection or her urine for infection. Since she is scooting and it wasn't her anal glands it is most likely due to her vulva.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!