Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 2 year old dachshund we just picked up from the local

Customer Question

my 2 year old dachshund we just picked up from the local shelter is shivering, coughing, sneezing, not eating, lethargic and glossy eyes. We saw it begin yesterday but we fear its getting worse. Is this an emergency?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your new little one is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long have you had him?

Is there anyway you can take a rectal temp? This will help me establish if he needs to be seen right away or if it can wait until tomorrow when your regular vet is open?

When did he eat last?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he's eaten one slice of ham in the last 2 hours. He wont touch the food in his dish. We've only had him for about 5 days. The symptoms appeared early on but appeared to just be kennel issues after the shelter assured us he had been cleared at the time. I don't know if i can take a rectal temp, i don't have a thermometer on my person.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

It sounds like this is a bit more then kennel cough. This sounds more like a full blown upper respiratory infection or even possibly pneumonia , but just coming from a shelter it would be impossible to say if this is bacterial, viral or fungal in nature.

If you can get a thermometer that would be best. If his temp is normal 100.5-102.5 then this can wait until tomorrow to see a regular vet so that you do not have to pay the higher costs of an emergency fee. If his temp is over 103.5 he should be seen right away. I am concerned that the shivering and glassy eyes is due to an elevated body temp.

You could try giving Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20lbs to try to help reduce the coughing until morning( only if his temp is normal). I would not give any more ham as this is one meat that does carry risks of causing pancreatitis. What you could try offering is one of the following

Boiled chicken or hamburger ( rinse well after cooking to remove any remaining grease)

Chicken or beef flavored baby food, just make sure there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients.

I would really try to get his temp. If normal I would try to entice him to eat but not force and have him seen by a vet first thing in the morning.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy