Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My 7 mo old chihuahua is very tiny.. does not have very much

Customer Question

My 7 mo old chihuahua is very tiny.. does not have very much in the way of muscle or fat and his tongue hangs out much of the time. I need help with food he can and will eat because when he tries to eat he pushes the food out because of his tongue. Have any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question. Due to his small stature, it is very important that he receives a balanced puppy food. I am afraid that feeding primarily meals of meat is not balanced for his growth purposes. Also, some dogs are lactose intolerant so I would not feed milk. The best types of food for thin puppies is a high protein, high energy canned puppy food. This would be easier for him to eat due to his tongue difficulties as well, compared to dry. Royal Canine makes a high energy puppy food that I have seen great results with in puppies that are thin.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aubie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pippa. How is everything going?
Dr. Emily