Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

We had our 5 month old lab puppy in a kennel at our vets

Customer Question

We had our 5 month old lab puppy in a kennel at our vets for 3 days while on vacation. Since we've brought him home he is acting strangely. He is hiding in our closet and won't play his usual games. Eating less. Is he depressed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Emily. Thank you for the question. I am sorry to hear about your lab. How long have you had him back home since his vet kennel visit?

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

It is certainly possible that he is acting out of sorts due to being at the kennel/vets. It can be a stressful environment for any dog, especially a puppy. Do you know if he was fed different food while he was there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was on his own food. He's been home for 5 days.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Has he had any other symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing physical. We have checked.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Ok. At this point, it is likely secondary to the stay at the clinic and not due to an underlying disease state. Some dogs are also exhausted after stays at clinics or kennels due to the constant excitement with dogs barking or people moving in and out. I would encourage eating --even if it takes mixing in some boiled hamburger and rice. If any other signs develop, you should see a vet but at this point, it would be ok to continue to monitor at home.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bommer. How is everything going?
Dr. Emily