Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My mother's 6 month old bulldog puppy ate 10 nibs peanut

Customer Question

My mother's 6 month old bulldog puppy ate 10 nibs peanut butter candies last night, wrappers and all. Acting normal, except vomited up his breakfast this morning. He's still energetic, doesn't appear painful and drinking water. He has not had a bowel movement yet. Wondering if there is anything we can give him to encourage it to pass through his system or if we need to take him in to a vet right away. Suggestions? Thanks, Beckey
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am sorry to hear that Ambrose ate some candies. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

I would check to make sure these candies did not contain xylitol. If so then she should be seen by a vet as this sweetener is toxic to dogs and can result in kidney failure. They may also be high in fat which can result in pancreatitis.

Since she has vomited this morning what you want to do is withhold all food for the next 12 hours. After that there are some thing we can do to help bulk up the diet and push the wrapper through. Wrappers by the way rarely result in obstruction and they normally pass with no problems.

What I would suggest after the fasting is to feed a bland diet of either boiled chicken or hamburger( make sure to rinse the meat after cooking to remove any remaining grease) and white rice for 2 days to allow the stomach/pancreas to rest. You can add fiber in the form of canned pumpkin 1 tablespoon twice daily to help move the wrappers along. I would break her feeding up in to smaller meals 4-5 times a day. By giving smaller meals more often this helps keep the gut moving so the wrappers do not just sit there. If you do not have canned pumpkin you can give 1/2 piece of whole grain bread twice daily.

I suspect she will be fine however if she has any additional vomiting after the fast, refuses to eat or is painful in the abdomen then I would have her seen by the vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by just answer for assisting you today.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beckey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ambrose. How is everything going?
Candy