Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 13 year old dog is limping on her nd right leg. It now

Customer Question

My 13 year old dog is limping on her hind right leg. It now makes a popping sound. When she bends it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Pebbles is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

The most common injury by far in the hind leg of a large breed dog is damage to the cruciate ligament of the knee. The clicking/popping you hear is likely the cartilage in the knee, called the meniscus. It may have snapped on one end and folded back . When this happens it will snap back and forth as the knee bends. It is not uncommon to see a torn meniscus accompanying a cruciate injury.

This really requires a hands on exam for proper diagnosis. I do not think this is something you have to rush to the vet for today but I would give them a call tomorrow and see if they would like to have you bring her in. Until then I would just continue with her supplements and restricting her movement as much as possible.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this be something that would require surgery to fix? I have an appt with a surgery center at the end of the month and wasn't sure if the vet can do something to help.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

It would depend on exactly what was going you. In most cases with a large breed dog yes injuries to the cruciate ligament do require surgery. However in some cases with senior dogs if for some reason they are not a candidate for surgery specialized braces can be made to support the knee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a brace that I can use to help her until she meets with a surgeon? Will waiting to long to get the surgery hurt her leg? Because she won't be seeing a surgeon until the end of the month and I don't want it to get worse
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Yes there are a few places you can get standard braces. If for some reason surgery can not be done then you would want to consider getting one that is fitted ( made) specific for her. There are companies that will work with your vet to make a mold of her leg. The concern with waiting is that often the other knee will go due to the extra weight it is carrying.

Here are a few links to look over for a brace.

Here are some ones you can just order on amazon LINK

These are a little more specific

LINK 1

Link 2

Link 3

This is a company that makes the custom braces I mentioned above LINK

Googling cruciate braces for dogs will give you more options.