Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My german shepherds have been through allergy shots they say

Customer Question

my german shepherds have been through allergy shots for allergies they say causing skin infections and then round prednisone and finally got chronic diarrhea from that; now rash is back worse from chest to anus? I am afraid to use anymore immunosuppressents or antibiotics. I don't know if it is a bacteria or fungus from the medications, but I have to do something.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rash is more like blotches of lumps that probably have an oil or something inside that doesn't break, but crusts over, some of it is scabbed now and some of it is causing just pure black spots. Their entire bellies are a mixture of black and their normal skin color. I never had a year with such allergies. I hike them in the mountains, mud, water and so, whatever this is, I don't know if it is from allergies or from secondary side effects of doxycycline, then prednisone, and first the month allergy shot that made both dogs nuts. He didn't tell me this could happen. I do not like synthetic drugs. but, I cannot watch this anymore. I feed them well. supplements of krill oil, probiotics. I am afraid to walk them anywhere. I cry from watching it happen. My female is more healthy but the rash is worse on her. My six year old is hypothyroid and anxiety, but his is slowly just staying the same. I am disabled and theyre service dogs. my male is already trained for me, my female is training from him. I am with them all the time. I have gotten sick and bedridden, and I don't know if my sadness and sickness worries them.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation...I now this is frustrating. These lesions are related to allergies but may also be related to Infected Sebacious Glands which are oil glands within the hair follicles that can become infected. It seems that both dogs may eb hypothyroid so it is extremely important that your vet test for this and treat accordingly since this affects skin condition. I would also worry about other issues such as an autoimmune disease or metabolic malfunction.

For now, follow these instructions:

Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures and skin biopsies to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****