Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My moms dog ate a part of a diaper and had diarrhea last

Customer Question

Hi my moms dog ate a part of a diaper and had green diarrhea last night with the white "hail looking pieces in it " it's my moms dog , she's 87. Moms in NY I'm in Florida. Should I have someone take them to a ER?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you know how much she had? Did she chew it up?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Is she eating and drinking?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you have your mum press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Was any of her diarrhea black?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to ask her all there questions..and get back to you, how do I do that?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No problem,

Just reply here once you have asked her. I will be here for the next few hours helping everyone and will keep my eyes peeled for your reply.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the dog ate dinner normally and is drinking normall... Okay great! Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That is a positive that Jill has eaten, and hopefully she hasn't those signs that we are checking on.

Speak to you in a wee bit,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I just spoke to mom... Dog drank water, ate a small biscuit and is not tender when her belly is palpated, dog however is panting...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Panting continuously like she is restless?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

The reason I ask is because without those other signs, there are some supportive care steps we can take to help her pass the diaper. but of course, since there is a risk of blockage with this, we do need to tread with care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is calm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think my moms house is warm
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

In that case, since we don't have any signs supporting a blockage at this point and since the "hale" is likely pieces of what we are wanting her to pass; we can start some supportive care for Jill while monitoring her closely. To start, we'd want your mum to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever she chooses, she can then add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to the meals. The fiber in these will encourage this diaper material to move through the GI. As well, she can also add a dose of cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to the food to help this all to slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, she will need to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when she presses on Jill's stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If she did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/-xray.

Overall, Jill's ingestion does carry the risk of blockage but so far she sounds to be passing this without issue. Since that is the case, we can have your mum use the above here while keeping a close eye. If we don't see those signs over the next 48 hours, then we'd hope she will have passed it all. But any of those signs and we'd want to Jill checked by her vet urgently.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )