Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is panting off and on, more than usual. It is not

Customer Question

My dog is panting off and on, more than usual. It is not from heat since it is cool. Her stomach also makes very loud gurgling sounds often now too. No change in diet. She is very gassy. Lost some appetite lately. Threw up twice. Her stool is normal... But on the softer side. She always had a persistent cough sometimes with a gagging sound. ( she saw a vet for her cough and they ruled out anything serious. She is 11years old... ***** ***** 18 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has this all been going on for Tookie?

Any retching, gagging, liplicking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I was just checking with PayPal to try to cancel my payment and found your reply.
Tookie has been panting for a few days intermittently. I just checked and she has not been doing it for the last few hours. I noticed her loud stomach gurgling has been going on for about 2-3 days. She is sleeping now. Both symptoms are gone. She has been drinking water well everyday.
Her coughing and gagging /hacking sometimes occurs after eating her homemade dried chicken treats. Wonder if it is irritating her stomach or throat since it is dry and needs much chewing. She has lost 2 molars over the years.
I pressed on her stomach and she did not flinch.
Not sure if she has been ingesting any foreign substance. She does go in and out of our home freely to our yard area.
I was concerned that her symptoms indicated an emergency visit to a vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered this several hours after my first inquiry. Please send a response to dee.sato @yahoo.com if chat is not available now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Actually I am here now (well still here since I replied to you) and am just reading your reply. I will post my thoughts shortly. :)

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you....waiting for your reply
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

First, I am glad to hear that her panting has settled. In this case and with its intermittent nature, I'd be most suspicious that it is a sign that she may feel uncomfortable with her GI signs (as opposed to a breathing or heart issue). As well, it is positive to hear she has a comfortable belly. As well, I cannot see your results of checking her gums, but hopefully they are properly pink as they should be. If these are all the case, then in regards ***** ***** question, this wouldn't be considered an emergency situation.

Instead, I do suspect that while her treats could be irritating her throat to cause her cough/gag, we more likely have an GI upset involving the stomach.This can certainly cause her vomiting, would depress the appetite due to nausea, and could cause those gassy gut sounds you heard.

With all this in mind, we can try Tookie on some supportive care just now. If you do hear any more excessive gas (which can distend the gut and be painful), you can treat her with Simethicone (which is over the counter at most pharmacies and often sold with human baby medications). When using this, you can give a dose of 1mg per pound of her body weight every 6-8 hour.

Further to this, to tackle that suspect nausea, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if Tookie has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board, we can try her with a nice light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, we'd want to give her a break from the chews for now, just in case they are irritating her throat or even triggering her nausea. And just to note, this will also help if her stools are a bit loose.

Overall, none of her signs sound suspicious of an emergency issue. Therefore, since she is resting comfortably, we can continue to let her do so and then start the above once she is awake. As long as she settles, we're happy. But if she is not 100% by Monday, then we'd want a wee check with her vet to make sure she hasn't picked up a GI bug or pancreatitis that may require further treatment.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! IAppreciate your help. I will check with my vet on the Pepcid or Zantac dosage. She is very gassy. She seems fine now so will make a vet appointment on Monday.
As her regular diet, we do feed her boiled chicken mixed with some of her kibble each day. Will withhold her homemade dried chicken treats for now and see if the coughing and hacking subsides.
Relieved that it is not an emergency situation.
Thank you again for your advice and response.:-))
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Just to note, the doses are listed in the links provided (you need only copy/paste them into your web browser). Otherwise, that sounds like a a good plan for feeding, though do consider soaking her kibble first to make sure it doesn't irritate her throat (and that will also be a sneaky way to make sure she gets more water too). Finally, if she is gassy quite often, I would also mention that besides using the Simethicone, you can add activated charcoal (which is OTC at most pharmacies, is made in a powder form for feedings dogs, and is even in some pre-made dog biscuits) to her food to bind that gas.

All the best & have a good day,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Will check on the charcoal too.
You have been most helpful. I am so much relieved now. Nice to have a vet online available for quick overall very detailed response. You also have reassured me about using this website. :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I could give you peace of mind and a plan of action for Tookie. :)

Take care & have a great day,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tookie. How is everything going?
nekovet