Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a mal shi two months old and he has brownish spots on

Customer Question

I have a mal shi two months old and he has brownish spots on his stomach. He has been sneezing alot and don't eat much. What does this mean.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

When did all his signs start?

Any nasal discharge? What color?

Does he sound congested or wheezy?

When did his appetite decline?

Are the spots raised or inflamed? Any redness near them?

Is he itchy with this?

Can you take a photo of these spots? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started last night. I wipe him off every night before bed and I noticed them. His nasal drainage is clear. He's been sneezing and sound like trying to blow his nose. His appetite declined.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that these signs are not all likely to be related. Instead, I suspect his appetite loss is related to his current viral upper respiratory tract infection. So, we need to consider each in turn.

To start, the discoloration you are seeing
Normal
0
appears to just be mild hyperpigmentation. This isn't a worry but can be a sign of chronic irritation/inflammation to the skin. The dark color is due to melanocytes responding to that irritation by producing more melanin (it is akin to our melanocytes making more melanin when our skin is being 'irritated' by the sun) which makes the skin dark or black. So, as long as he doesn't seem itchy with this (or irritated by the wipes you are using), we'd not be alarmed here and just want to monitor.

Otherwise, we need to consider these respiratory signs. As I noted, if he has clear discharge from both nostrils and is congested, then a viral flu (ie parainfluenza) would be our main suspicion here. Now since the discharge is clear (since snotty discharge would be a sign of bacteria and an indication of antibiotics being necessary), we can start some supportive care to ease his signs. First, since he is sneezing (which is the body's way of trying to push material out of the nasal passage) and has a runny nose, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any material that may be accumulating in the nasal passages. Alternatively, you can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often dogs don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam rooms’ with him in a small room or big dog carrier with the humidifier near by (you can put a sheet over the crate and humidifier to better focus the steam).

Another option for trying to clear the nasal passages and reduce sneezing would be to use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated). To do so, tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a dog favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Finally, making sure he is getting food and water is important, as congestion can make them less then keen to eat. Therefore, since he has appetite loss, do try tempting him with soft wet foods (since they are high in water). As well, if he cannot smell the food properly, you can also consider warming it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it. Otherwise favorites or bland diet options like rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg can be offered.

Overall, his brown spots just look to be a mild bit of hyperpigmentation. It is not worry and just needs to be monitored. If he has any visible irritation with them, then we'd want to have them checked. Otherwise, we can use the above to try to reduce those flu signs to get him eating properly and help his immune system overcome this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best and have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )