Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has a bone stuck in the top of s mouth and I am

Customer Question

my dog has a bone stuck in the top of his mouth and I am trying to figure out how to release t. I t is across the top from tooth to tooth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these kinds of responses are fine. But I just want to get him un distressed at this point. I thought they were quills and he has had this for a few days now. But as my kids and I were figuring this out last night, we seen it was a bone and is lodged in there pretty tight.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is something you do see in the consulting room now and again, these objects can be very tightly wedged in but if you stick a blunt object such as the handle of a spoon under it and then gently prise upwards I find that most will then be released and easily removed. Grasping it with a small pair of long nosed pliers and then easing it out can also work.

2. Where such objects are very tightly wedged in or the dog is nervous and hard to deal with then sometimes heavy sedation or light anaesthetic is required, this would be rare though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bone stuck in his mouth ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.