Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is constantly biting at her private area and I see

Customer Question

My dog is constantly biting at her private area and I see some bleeding
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry you had to wait for an answer. The original expert you asked for is either not online, does not work here anymore, or, is no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert they have a personal lock/hold on the question, which means that another expert has to wait for the lock to clear before they can help you.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If she is licking the vaginal area there may also be an infection ( UTI)or bladder stones as this will show bleeding and licking of the area. It would be a good idea to drop off a urine sample to be sure nothing is going on there.

For allergies, which have been particularly bad this year, talk to your Vet about Apoquel or Atopica. The Apoquel will stop the scratching within two two days in most cases.

Sadly when it comes to allergies there is not a lot that can be done to ease the scratching. But you can cut down on the amount of inhaled allergens that may be causing the problem inside by wiping her down with a damp towel after an outing to get the pollen's off of her skin and coat so she is not constantly breathing them in and some find relief in putting an air purifier in the room with the dog to suck out all the dust and pollen's.

If Benedryl is not working very well talk to your vet about using a different type of allergy pill such as zyrtec.

Information ondosing zyrtec http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cetirizine-(zyrtec-)