Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 3 year old mini dach just developed a rash around s mouth

Customer Question

My 3 year old mini dach just developed a rash around his mouth (under chin and lips) that is rough and bumpy and losing hair a little. He is not itching it but he licks everything. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Charlie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

A rash like this can be an allergic reaction, an infection, or an autoimmune skin disease. The treatment would depend on which it is. If it is an allergic reaction, topical cortisone ointment and some Benadryl ( 1 mg per pound of body weight 2 to 3 times daily) should help. If it is an infection, topical antibiotics might help, or he might need systemic antibiotics.

If it is autoimmune, then steroids or other prescription medication would be needed. To tell which it is, I would need to see it, or do a skin scraping to get cells to look at under a microscope, or even a skin biopsy. You might try the cortisone and/or antibiotic ointment, and maybe the Benadryl. If that does not help, I would have it checked by a veterinarian.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Charlie doing?