Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a female Doberman 11 months old she has always been

Customer Question

I have a female Doberman 11 months old she has always been extremely active but a month ago she was just laying around and could not go up or down stairs she did have a feaver of over 105 and has been on antibotics and it lowered it she strated to feel better but has now slipped backwards and back to laying around she will stand looking at the floor for 10 minutes trying to decide how to lay down
she no longer runs or plays frisbie and some times she walks backing up
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

Can you tell me what tests were done at the vets and the results?

Has she had any exposure to ticks in the last 6 months that you are aware of?

Can you tell me what state you live in ?

Has your vet discussed sending you to a neurologist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what test but one was for something that happens about 3 weeks after being in heat said the test results did not show it
To my knowledge no tick bits I checked her
TennesseeNo it has only been one week so waiting to see if it gets better which it did she was almost normal yesterday but then got sick and then all the symptoms came back
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The problems laying down not running and walking backwards is most often associated with joint or spinal pain. When we combine that with the fever the following things we need to consider are

1. Tick born illnesses such as lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever and Anaplasmosis. These illnesses can take months to show symptoms so even if you have not seen a tick on her we can not rule it out. The following link will go over all tick borne diseases in more detail LINK

2. Valley fever. I asked where you lived because we do not see this in all states however Tennessee is a state where we are seeing increased cases. Some dogs will only get the respiratory form while others develop what is called Disseminated valley fever and this is system wide effects the joints as well. This is a fungal infection so antibiotics would not cure it. Here is more on this LINK

3. Bacterial Meningitis. This would take in most cases a MRI or spinal tap to properly diagnose. LINK

I know you have already been to the vet but it sounds like they have missed something and additional testing needs to be done. I would discuss the following with your vet and try to get started on some testing. If this was my dog I would probably start with a tick panel which is a simple blood panel and go from there.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If all of your questions have been answered please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no phone call is fine any suggestions?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Sorry my states veterinary board prevents me from doing phone calls. Without some additional testing there is not much we can do. I would discuss doing some of the testing I suggest above with your vet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow this was a waste
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got that for free from google
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you feel this was a waste. Even if I had been ale to do a phone call I still would be unable to diagnose the problem without testing. It sounds like your vet simply tested for a pyometra ( uterine infection) and nothing more.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out and see if another expert can help you, however no one will be able to tell you a for sure cause or direct treatment without testing to know exactly what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow you refer me to someone else because I am dissatisfied and you block me from rating you
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I did not block you from rating me I have no control over that. Yes I did opt out so other experts could try to help you. My goal is for all customers to be satisfied and if they are not I want to allow others to help so that we can provide the best service available. This was done in an attempt to try to help you not to prevent a rating. I am not sure exactly how I can help you. All we can do here is give potential causes for a problem. Anyone who tells you they can diagnose a dog without seeing them would be dishonest as that simply is not possible.

This problem has been going on for a month and your vet has other then giving antibiotics not done anything to really help you and it would be in your dogs best interest to have more testing done.

I really wish there was more I could do to help you and since I can not I am hoping someone else can. Please understand I opted out because I just want what is best for your dog and I want you to be satisfied, it in no way means I did not want to help or did not want a rating.