Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My puppy has persistent giardia. He has had several rounds

Customer Question

My puppy has persistent giardia. He has had several rounds of meds. When he's on the meds he's fine but soon after the diarrhea returns. We constantly clean with bleach products. Just don't know more can be done.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like you have been treating giardia several times. If you are using the same medication each time, then it may be the time for a change in medications. Here is a site that discusses the various treatment methods for giardia.

http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/giardia

In addition to treatment, all fecal matter needs to be cleaned out of the yard where the pup goes out to eliminate. It should also be treated with a mild bleach solution as well. Any standing water such as puddles needs to be gotten rid of. Try not to let your pup chew on grass, sticks or rocks as the cysts may be present and become reingested and thus contracted again.

Medications often just help control the infection until the dog's immune system kicks in and takes care of it. So if your pups immune syste is still immature or lowered, it might take some time to get resolved. You might try bovine colostrum. It can help bolster the immune system and may help this pup combat the giardia.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.