Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Just found several flat pink worms iin the stool of my

Customer Question

Just found several flat pink worms iin the stool of my newwly bought 3 month old pound &1/2 Yorkie. Puppy papers say that she had been wormed at 8 weeks old. What kind of worm does she have?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms. A heavy worm load can lead to some bleeding in the intestinal tract leading to a pink appearance. Almost all puppies are born with parasites. eggs lay dormant in mom and when pregnancy occurs, they hatch. this helps ensure their survival. Most breeders deworm starting at 2 weeks and deworm every 2 weeks until a pup goes to a new home. Then the new owner usually deworms at least once. Worming every 2 weeks kills newly hatching eggs before they have time to mature and lay more eggs.

In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

The site I gave on worms has pictures that you can compare to the worms you saw.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Hi Deb,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Debra L Taylor. How is everything going?