Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a dog care & put a guest in the laundry room while I

Customer Question

I have a dog care biz & put a guest in the laundry room while I ran errands. When I returned 25 mins later she had chewed the hinge & snap off a plastic bin that holds another dogs food. She ate quite a bit. Will she be in trouble? SHe is 12 yrs old. :^(
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry you had to wait for an answer. The original expert you asked for is either not online, or, no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert they have a personal lock/hold on the question, which means that another expert has to wait for the lock to clear before they can help you.

The worst case scenario is that the hinge and clip she chewed will cause a blockage of the intestines which can require surgery, or , any sharp piece ingested could puncture the intestinal tract and make her very ill where immediate Vet care would be needed .

The less worst case scenario , if this was normal dog food, is there will be stomach upset, possible vomiting, and diarrhea.

At this point watching her closely is what I would be doing. I am going to direct you to a link that will take you through what is normal in dogs, though you likely know first aid, but sometimes the vital signs escape us when something happens.

I would also contact the owner and see what they want you to do. Some owners will want the dog taken in at any cost.

What is normal in dogs link.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature