Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My almost 2 year-old Shepard/Lab/Dane/Staffie mix has been

Customer Question

My almost 2 year-old Shepard/Lab/Dane/Staffie mix has been pooping mucousy-mustard yellow poop for
the past 4 weeks. She has a history of GI problems (SIBO one year ago, fluctuation
between formed/solid BMs and diarrhea, occasional vomiting of yellow frothy stomach acid in the
morning before she eats breakfast).
Every now and then she will have a brown colored formed poop, but it usually immediately followed by the softer yellow poop. We have had to make her chicken/rice/green beans/peas/carrots
from scratch because she is having a hard time with kibble-either won't eat it (she ended up growing tired of the Science Diet sensitive stomach
kibble) or will have GI problems (such as frequent pooping or loose stool) from other brands
(we have tried Royal Canin, Fromms, Blue, Science Diet, NutriSource) and she even was on Fortiflora for a few weeks. She is a very gassy dog pretty much all of the time.
Our vet recommended 1
teaspoon of psyllium husk twice a day (which she has
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl is having some trouble. I apologize that no one has assisted you sooner. I just signed in and saw your question.

When I hear of a shepherd or shepherd mix with a history of SIBO, gas and yellow loose stool the first thing that pops in my mind is a condition called EPI. This unfortunately is a condition that some vets are not very experienced with and one that is very common in the shepherd breed. There is a very specific test that must be done for this called a cTLI and I would suggest having this done and sent out to Texas A&M as they are the leading authority on this condition. This is caused by a lack of proper digestive enzymes being produced by the pancreas and pancreatic enzymes must be added to the diet. Here is a link that goes over this in more detail LINK

Parasites/protoza infection can also cause this so if a stool sample has not been sent to the lab for testing I would do that as well.

Having raised Shepherds for many years my gut tells me this is an EPI issue so I would discuss this with your vet as soon as possible.

I hope this helps give you some additional options to discuss with your vet. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you feel all of your questions have been answered please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you this evening.

Candy