Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My female dog is in heat and my male is going! He won't eat

Customer Question

My female dog is in heat and my male is going nuts! He won't eat anything or drink anything and is loosing alot of weight. Is he acting like this because of the female?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

jancustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Male dogs frequently will stop eating when there is a female in heat. They get preoccupied with the female and forget about eating. Usually if they mate, they will sometimes eat a small amount. However, the easiest way to get them to eat is to separate the dogs in such a way that he can not see her or smell her. Usually if you take him inside in a separate room then she has been in, that will get them interested in the food. Often owners will spray a strong air freshener around the edges of the door to cover the scen t of the female. It is believed that males can smell a female in heat from up to a mile away.

You can also temp him with boiled chicken and rice which is a bland food and will be less harsh on his stomach if he should be experiencing a little nausea. Be sure he has about an hour after eating before you put them back together since he will be mounting the female often and you want to lessen the chance of the stomach twisting.

You might also purchase nutrical at your local pet store. It is a a nutritional supplement. If he isn't eating you can give him that to ensure he is at least getting some nutrients that he needs. I would try and separate him from her ate least a couple of times a day so he can eat and drink. If being in a separate room or in the house doesn't get him eating, you might try taking him a couple of miles from the female to see if that help. Usually it does.

If he doesn't eat when he is separated from her by a few miles, then I would suggest you have your vet take a quick look though it is likely to be strictly from the female being in heat.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.