Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog (she's a 7 year-old lab mix) threw up thick but clear

Customer Question

My dog (she's a 7 year-old lab mix) threw up thick but clear liquid after eating dinner. Now she's been drooling excessively, and her neck is wet. She's not in distress or pain, just hanging out. I read it could just be nausea. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Drooling can be due to many thing and yes nausea is on the top of that list. Nausea itself can also be due to many things even something as simple as a new food or treat. Of course nausea can also be a sign of more serious underlining conditions so if the drooling continues or she has any additional vomiting then you would want to have her seen by the vet.

If you are sure she has not gotten in to anything toxic, she has only had the one episode of vomiting and she is acting otherwise normal then there are some things you can do at home.

I would with hold all food for 12 hours. You can use one of the following to settle the stomach.

* Pepcid AC- 0.5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.

* Pepto Bismol. 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8-10 hours. This can cause constipation so use only as needed.

After the fast you want to feed a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice. Feed this in small meals several times per day for the next 2 days. On the 3rd day you can mix this with her kibble.

Again if she has any additional vomiting after the fast, refuses to eat or declines in any way I would suggest having her seen by your vet.

Hopefully this is just an upset stomach and she will feel better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you this evening.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kendall,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Candy